[ImageJ-devel] IJ1 unit tests

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Fri Oct 7 14:05:24 CDT 2011

Hi Wayne et. al,

For quite some time now, we have had unit tests (written by Barry) for
testing the behavior of IJ1. Unfortunately, they were originally written to
compile against a patched version of IJ1 and we neglected to update them to
work with IJ1 "out of the box."

I have had a ticket about this situation (
http://dev.imagejdev.org/trac/imagej/ticket/598) for the past few months,
but have only just now finally fixed the tests to work against various
versions of IJ1 from 1.44 onwards.

I ran them against all development versions of 1.45 (a through q) and saved
the result as a blog post:
  http://imagejdev.org/2011/10/07/unit-tests-imagej-1x

It looks like from 1.45a through 1.45q, a total of 7 code changes were
introduced that result in test failures. These could be the result of
bugfixes, or they could be new regressions. I wanted to let you know in case
you were interested in pursuing these bugs, since I know how much you value
backwards compatibility.

Instructions on running the tests yourself can be found here:
  http://imagejdev.org/source-code#Running_ImageJ_1.x_unit_tests

My plan is to hook up the tests to Hudson (http://dev.imagejdev.org:8080/)
and have it send an email whenever a new version of IJ1 is released with
failing tests.

What do you think?

Regards,
Curtis